Millennials are adults ages 18 to 34. There are roughly 80 million Millennials in the United States alone, and each year they spend approximately $600 billion. In marketing, the group has been described as high influencers with a heightened awareness of marketing schemes.
According to AdWeek, marketers are constantly working multiple social media platforms and tweaking digital ads to target elusive millennials who don’t respond to traditional advertising. While it is a challenge to market to this ‘elusive’ segment, here are some key tips on engaging Millennials.
- Break through the noise by utilizing the tools that are available.
- Get the consumer excited with engaging content.
- Millennials look for instant gratification. Allow them to personalize/customize their experience.
- Be authentic. Fans can detect BS.
- Consumers base their purchases based off their perception of the brand.
- Mobile first. Two-thirds of Millennials view content on mobile. 70% tweet while watching television or other shows.
- Create something people want to watch, and they will share that content.
- Be culturally relevant. For brands, find something that is interesting and fits into the cultural space.
- Content is designed to engage the consumer regardless of platform.
- Listen to your audience. If your content isn’t working, pivot.